Oh, hello blog of mine. Long time no see. Well, I’m back.
In my last entry, I talked about priorities, which you can read about here if you’re interested. It’s a good time for me to revisit this post, because aside from being approximately halfway through the year, this is a short week, and we have both collaboration tomorrow and Pro-D Friday. Let me take a minute to self-assess how I’ve managed my priorities…
1. I’ve definitely made family more of a priority. I think that working closer to home has been a huge help in that respect. However, I still haven’t made enough time for myself to workout regularly, so I’m going to have to manage my time better if I hope to be involved in pole vaulting anytime soon. I’d give myself a C- on making family priority #1.
2. We’ve managed (my family) to spend more time with the friends we have, plus we’ve managed to make a few new connections that I think have some potential. It will take some careful planning, but it will be worth it in the long run. I’d give myself a C+ on making friends priority #2.
3. Work has been incredibly challenging, due to the massive undertaking of flipping my classes (all but Science 9), plus incorporating some mastery learning. The blogging obviously fell off the map as soon as the school year started, but hey… I’m back now, right? Actually, I have several good reasons to get back at it:
- I actually can’t make it to the collaboration session tomorrow, so I’m going to contribute through my blog.
- I want to organize my thoughts on how things have gone so far this year before the end of the week, when I’m meeting with another flipped classroom teacher for Pro-D.
- I’ve just been chosen to present two sessions at the Flipped Classroom Conference in Kelowna, BC on June 20th and 21st: one on my first year of classroom flipping experience, and another on Macs and iPads. I’ll need to have material ready well in advance of that. Given that this blog is supposed to be a teaching journal for me, it’s time to treat it as such… it should make my presentations a lot easier to prepare.
I’d give myself a B on work being priority #3, contingent to getting the blogging back on track, and getting more sleep.
I feel like this is a turning point in the year. I’m excited about the second half of the year, with the weather starting to warm up a little, and lots to look forward to. I’m going to keep the ball rolling tonight with another blog post, which will be on iPads for teachers. I’ll have a few app recommendations, some demos, and some video of me just sharing my journey into the world of Apple products and iOS. Expect more posts to follow this week, where I’ll finally debrief with myself on the flipclass implementation so far this year.
See you on the flip side,